The MOU was singed on 14 June, 2010
Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) was established in 1950 and became a private foundation in 1985.
NGI is a leading international center for research and consulting within the geosciences. NGI is a private foundation with office and laboratory in Oslo, branch office in Trondheim and daughter company in Houston, Texas, USA.
NGI was awarded the status of 'Centre of Excellence' in 2002 and leads the International Centre for Geohazards (ICG). ICG carries out research on the assessment, prevention and mitigation of geohazards, including risk of landslide in soil and rock due to rainfall, flooding, earthquakes and human intervention, and the geological risks in deep waters, especially underwater slides. The other partners in ICG are the University of Oslo, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, the Geological Survey of Norway and NORSAR (Norwegian Seismic Aray).
The annual turnover for NGI in 2010 was NOK 317 million (about USD 59 million), where 36 % of the turnover came from projects outside of Norway. Over 75 % of the employees are university graduates, and 30 % have PhD's. NGI counts citizens of 33 nations among its employees.